Safe Space Policy
To further our mission of making Cascadia a supportive, non-threatening environment, Cascadia Convergence 2018 employs the following safe space policies:
1. We enter this event with a commitment to mutual respect, mutual aid, anti-oppression, advocacy, conflict resolution, non-violence, direct democracy, and community building. We respect everyone’s names, preferred gender pronouns, expressed identities, and experiences. We avoid making assumptions, promote mutual appreciation, and understand that no one is required to share information about their identities or experience(s).
2. We support the empowerment of each person and strive to continually acknowledge the histories and structures of oppression that marginalize some and divide us all.
3. We are guests at this event and will treat the land, area, and other guests with the highest level of respect.
4. We do not engage in violence or threats.
5. We obtain explicit consent for physical touch or using others’ belongings.
6. We accept a shared responsibility where we hold ourselves and one another accountable to these agreements, without violence, judgment, or assumption of intent.
7. We encourage open minds and open hearts. We do not assume the intentions of others in order to foster a non-judgmental and accessible environment.
8. We promote inclusive learning spaces. We encourage anyone who is feeling less than familiar with terminology, concepts, or context to ask questions in the spirit of personal growth.
9. We respect that Cascadia Convergence 2018 is a family-friendly event. We will respect the alcohol & drug-free common areas, as well as keep vocabularly, volume, and physical space welcoming for all people.
10. We respect the rights of Cascadia Convergence 2018 coordinators to ask any guests to leave the event at any time. We understand that this is a private event on private land and the right to keep the space safe is in the hands of the coordinators. If asked to leave at any time we will be polite, respectful, and understanding of this decision.